Les Schwab Tire Centers - Tire Cracks

I stopped by the local Les Schwab store to ask about the side wall cracks on my front Toyo tires that I bought from Les Schwab that have 14,000 miles.They are on the car that I drive 40 miles a day to work.

I was told that all tires crack and I shouldn't worry about them. I called another Les Schwab store and two other chain tire stores and was told that the cracks could cause me to have a blowout and I should replace them right away. I checked my wife's car and my neighbors two cars.

They don't have cracks and their tires have more miles and are older than mine.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 2 Yes 2 8 No 8
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in

Apr 04, 2013 #632412 Modesto, California

UPDATE....Two people at Americas Tires and one person at Big O Tires looked at the tires and rim. I asked them if someone hit a curb or something and if I should worry about the cracks. All 3 had the same thoughts. The rim was not hit, it is just the paint flaking off. The tires were cracking and would only get worse. They were ok now, but I shoud keep watching and replace them if the cracks get any bigger. Maybe I just got a bad set of Toyo tires. I just expected Les Schwab to back up what the tires they promote.

Side Note.... I have 8 year old Michelin tires on my Jeep, It is parked on the South side of my home and gets direct sun. I only drive it about 3000 miles a year. There are no cracks on any of the tires.

Also, I was told by the tire guys at Les Schawb that I should never use anything on the tires, because it causes them to dry out.

I guess it is just a difference of opinions.

Mar 12, 2013 #621869

First off. The places you called that said to replace the tire didn't actually see the tire. Those are not cracks to worry about. Look at Michelin tires next time and look how many cracks there are. And try armor all next time you buy tires. Keeps the rubber soft so that it doesn't happen. And park in a garage.

Mar 04, 2013 #618194

You can see where your rim is damaged! What did you run into to cause the problem? :x :x :x :x :x :x

Mar 07, 2013 #619752 Stockton, California

The rim is not damaged. What you see is the black paint flaking off when tire weight was removed when I had it re-balanced.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.