1.3K views

My wife drives a 2000 Jetta and one of the *** lites came on indicating "Front Brake pads worn"… She brought it in to the Les Schwab Tire Center at 631 Harbor Blvd, West Sacramento, Ca. They told her that the pads in front and back were bad and worn down to bare metal on the inside pad..did not say which ones… They gave her an estimate of $ 880.29 for what Les Swab calls "Complete Disc Brake Service" which included Remanufactured Calipers (front and rear), Machining of Brake Rotors front and rear, new pads & Labor….

My wife was flabbergasted as she expected to just need Front pads… She left Schwab telling them she would think about it, even though they told her they could do the work right away…I guess they did not want her to think too long and thought because she was a woman they could get over on her…

She brought the car to a trusted mechanic who has done work on the Jetta b4… He checked out the complete brake system and found that the rotors and calipers were fine and that only the front pads needed replacing.. the back pads still had a good 5,000 miles left on them… He charged her $ 131.00 total parts and labor to replace only the front pads…

The next day I went back to Schwab and spoke to the manager telling him what our mechanic found that really needed replacing. ( I guess those *** lights can be real accurate at times…lol) The manager said that perhaps his mechanic was excessive about the car needing calipers but then defended him by saying Schwab has a written service policy on Brake Repair and handed me a copy of it which listed a complete brake system replacement. Calipers, Rotors, pads seals were and all…

While I was at Schwab I saw a sign issued by the California Consumer Affairs dept.. So I will be lodging a complaint in the morning about this shop.

Anyway,,,,,buyer be ware of Les Schwab !!!!

Comments

I have been a loyal customer of west sac les schwaab for almost 10 years. They know my name and have always provided the best customer service to my personal cars as well as to the cars of people I have refered to them.

I had an instance where they did a complete race suspension on my car and I was having problems with a squeeking noise from the front end. I had my car there 3-4 times a week for about 3 weeks before they figured out what it was.....it was very irritating to have to give up my car for most of the day while they tried to figure it out, but in the end they fixed the problem and I payed nothing. They even threw $350 discount on my account for the trouble. No business is perfect in everything.

I can honestly say Les Schwaab West Sac turely cares about their customers and does everything in their power to insure that we are satisfied and taken care of.

300c- 22" rims, coilover suspension, adjustable control arms, tie rods, camber kit in rear, new ball joints and lower control arms, sway bars........all installed by Les Schwaab. Rides great!

#442080

I took my car to them and after they got done I had to take it back my breaks we're grinding they told me that my roters were worped they weren't that way before so they must of done it while they machine them they f*** them up and instead of honoring their warranty they me to 200$ on top of 400$ I already gave them!

Actually, les schwab is COMPLETELY unscrupulous and blatently ripping people off on ALL brake jobs that they do. I am a 20yr ASE master tech in the medford area. I have seen schwabs work come into my shop time and time again. The one pattern is that ANY brake job gets calipers, rotors, pads, and heck maybe a master cylender too.

This is fine if the car needs it, but i guarantee not every car does.

I have had cars that I inspected, measured the rotors, and recommended brakes(the only defective part being the pads) The calipers and rotors were fine. It was the cars first brake job at 35k miles.

Well, the customers hubby apparently got tires at schwab and got slammed with a $900 front brake repiar instead of a $100-$200 max repair(200 if resurfacing rotors.

I dont know how this store doesnt draw some needed attention from the states attorne generals. IMO they should be prosecuted across the board for selling un necessary repairs as a matter of policy.

Do yourselves a favor america, stay away from schwab

Les Schwab has free popcorn in their waiting rooms.

i love you pencil pushin morons my brothers aunts uncle step son said my brakes were ok only needed to put pads.did he measure the rotors,check the boots on the calipers or the pins probably not.i hope you feel good about the next panic stop and the rotors fade.yes there are sheisters out there for sure but i bet there are some in your line of work too.ps i dont work for ls

frankktalkk

Sorry archerman. R U Les's reincarnation?

It sounds like some real loyal l.s. customers (L.S employee goones) in here. yes they will bend you over and *** you dry. I had bought 4 toyo tires and had a sidewall blow out, went to the store to buy a new tire and was told they couldnt sell me 1 tire i needed to buy 4 since the other 3 had been driven on and now the radius would be off from the other tires. Makes alot of sense except that i had only driven around 3100 on the set. The desk clerk was embarrassed to tell me this since the manager told her to tell me. It was fine since tire factory was down the road and would sell me 1 tire. Goldendale,wa

Also took my pick up in for a rotation and was told my brakes were metal on metal and i needed to change my front inner pads for only 220. 4 years later or 2 weeks ago i changed out all my rotors and pads myself for 160.00.

The dalles, Or

Was starting a job around seattle, 3 hrs away had 2 blow outs in one trip. One on the free way got it changed and the other one in the les schwab parking lot (i thought it was lucky) made it 5 minuted b4 closing and was told it was too late to change a tire and would have to wait until they opened. I had to sleep in my car and miss my first day of work.

25 minutes E of Seattle, Wa

Needed a road force balance for my cadillac, L.S was the closest place with this balancer, went in and was told my tires were too worn for them to touch them. I was heading on a 700 mile trip the next day and was in dire need of this balancing, so i bent over and bought tires, then sold the old ones on craigslist with 70% tread.

The Dalles, Or

wow, i come to think of it L.S is a *** terrible place and i only come here in emergency situations after my first bad experience.

longtimecustomer
#204167

Don't be ignorant, you obviously don't udnerstand how things work. Especially if you really REALLY you think these days, a company like LS is going to rip off your wife?

Why?

Yeh they have been in business for this long because they rip people off. Don't be an ***.

People need to educate themselves about the cars they drive that way when you go in for a repair you will not be totally clueless. Get a repair manual and study it so you know what to look for when something goes wrong.

Google is great for looking up stuff on different cars. As for Schwab brake jobs the warrenty is only good for a complete brake job that way if something goes wrong they can blame it on the new parts.

The majority of autos don't need this unless the system is totally wasted by neglect. Bottem line is get to know your car so you can be informed about it's needs.

I can not find anywhere on les schwab web site to contact their headquarters to give them the opportunity to inspect my vehicle after one of their stores told me I needed new upper ball joints on my Expedition. They were not holding a gun to my head so I left and have since had my fathers mechanic take a look at them when replacing front axle boots.

He, age 51, told mw they were fine and that les schwab was milking the job. So a $56.25 front end alignment turned into a $565.80 price quoatation.

Les Schwab is welcome to re-inspect my vehicle. Quote# 70551 Store# 625

how do you know the calipers weren't ready to be replaced? did your mechanic take them apart to see?

if he did he would have had to rebuild them. that's why les schwab does a complete service. and they warranty it 100%.

they are doing nothing unscrupulous by offering a complete job. that's the only kind they do, and nobody is holding a gun to your head to agree to do it.

#119402

Way to contribute absolutely nothing to this article or to life in general. People use this site to argue/defend companies. You've done neither.

gee, I wonder how much les schwab is paying you to get on this forunm and spew a bunch of bull$hit on their behalf..

Are you serious? Why don't you start sueing shoe company for replacing the whole shoe, not just the sole that's worn out?

You going to sue Panasonic when your TV blows and you have to replace the whole thing and not just some little $50 part? It seems as if you're not seeing the big picture. So what happens WHEN (not if) your caliper freezes? Is your mechanic going to cover it?

Doubtful. AND because your caliper froze, it wore out your brakes, therefore you need new brakes AGAIN!

With LS brakes, it would ALL be covered and you'd be on your way. Sorry you feel that way, but again, it seems as if you're not seeing the bigger picture.

Dear Sorry Archerman,

The only person to be bent over is YOU !!! U obviously don't know ShXt from Shinola about brakes or my Mechanic. If what Les Schwab in West Sac Does is COMPLETE BRAKE JOBs then they are not really auto mechanics, as worn Brake pads does not mean COMPLETE BRAKE JOBs are a given…

The STATE of CAL is after these kinds of businesses that are over selling what is a normal wear and tear situation. Calipers and Rotors were not needed on the Jetta, JUST front Brake Pads….

If u bring your car to that Les Schwab location they will surely bend you over and give your car An UNNEEDED COMPLETE Brake Job with More Lube than you ever will use in a lifetime.

Les Schwab did what should be done on your vehicle. They looked at everything and saw what you needed.

What they do is a COMPLETE brake job. Pads, Calipers, and Rotors. (if needed) So when your mechanics brakes fail in 6 months because of a frozen brake caliper, he'll bend you over and re-charge you for the brake pads, and then not use any lube on you for the calipers.

And really, you think 5k miles is enough to not need brakes? Sounds like your mechanic told you what you WANTED to hear, not what you NEEDED to hear.

Dear Tire Buster,

For your info my "trusted Mechanic" DID Mic the rotors and they were in spec…The estimate My wife got from Les Schwab did not even mention anything about micing the rotors or whether they were within spec….so much for the thoroughness of Les Schwab… another thing, it is not a question of whether my mechanic just slapped on new brake pads…. It is a question of DOING THE RIGHT THING for THE CUSTOMER… You don't do a complete brake job when all that is needed is Front brake pads…. To inspect the brake system is one thing , to try and oversell what is truly necessary to repair or replace parts is another….

I have referred this issue to State of California Dept of Consumer Affairs and they have gotten back to me and advise that they are after these businesses that are OVER SELLING services that are not warrented….no matter WHAT the Businesses Policy is…. Replacing the pads was ALL that was needed to bring the brakes back to manufacturers spec.

Anyway, who are U and why are U advoctaing for Les Scwhabs brake policy in the first place...

if you would have read the warranty paper that he gave you, you would have seen that Les Schwab doesnt just replace pads. a complete les schwab brake job returns your braking system to manufacturer specs.

your pad slap that your "trusted mechanic" did is no where near the quality or safety, and they probably didnt even mic the rotors. by the way what kind of mileage warranty did your mechanic offer you.

hey Tadster,

What I wrote was the truth !!!!!

Waterbury, Vermont, United States #104237

I dont understand why people like you feel the need to get on a site like this and lie